- School Twinning Helps Bring Cultures, Faiths TogetherPosted 3 hours ago
- Abby Black Score Early And Often SaturdayPosted 2 days ago
- Cycling4Diversity – The Journey Begins AgainPosted 3 days ago
- JAAZPosted 5 days ago
- Jason Brown Wins Awards In National Photography CompetitionPosted 6 days ago
- Abbotsford Slo-Pitch StandingsPosted 6 days ago
- UPDATE Missing Person Blossom De Bruin LocatedPosted 7 days ago
- SWAT Reading Skills Program A SuccessPosted 7 days ago
Letters: Message Of Importance To Mission Seniors & Concerned Citizens
Dear Editor. A Message of importance to Mission seniors and concerned citizens while sometimes provocative by design, we always provide informed opinion for inquiring mind …
• George F. Evens, “Leading edge ADVOCACY”, creating “Unity in Challenging Times” For Seniors’, one united strong voice
• A “Champion for Seniors’ Issues”, we wish to speak for ALL Seniors’ who support our stated (platform); we speak in an informed, empathetic, forthright, apolitical manner; we engage competent, professional, assertive, pro-active Seniors’ to (speak with us at Public events), to demand progress & a “strength in numbers” supports our causes/issues for Seniors’.
A Country, Province, Municipality, Company, Association or any entity comprising people may prosper or falter, by the moral progress achieved, the acumen of participants and their individual motivations that translate into effective vehicles to achieve effective & meaningful progress.
• Ideology, primarily (that) of one type, and incumbents (who) are in a position of arbitrary rule & unilateral decisions because of (democratic) decisions, such as (Politicians), (many if not most) with no qualifications, that (simply) achieve numbers to get elected. If enough likeminded thoughts congregate and their misguided nature befalls any collective organization, such entity is destined to the will of this ilk. By contrast, if Society is the benefactor of a competent, empathetic, compassionate (group) and one furthering the moral progress of the entity, (sadly, a near unheard of existence today), Society will benefit.
• more often, too many in Society are “followers “and fail to speak-out against wrong decisions & injustice”, instead “place their head in the sand”. Edmund Burke cautions, “Evil flourishes when good men & women stand by and doing nothing” but isn’t it sad, some among us criticize others for speaking out, trying to improve Society, dwell upon length of an article/letter than the merit of content and thus seek to diminish progress.
• In my early Management training days we talked about (promoting) people, “Peter’s Principle” I believe it was termed, “people promoted to their level of incompetence”, that rather than to fill each vacancy with competent people, above the “skill level & competency” of (Bosses) it was more common to promote people below and sadly this impacted hierarchies and the very entity, by diminishing progress and if anything, often retained an unacceptable status-quo. Nepotism & promotion of (friends) families is common and again harmful to the prosperity of entities, in all forms but this ineptness is prevalent today.
• It is crucial to be critical & informed, to recognize “a person is a human being first and foremost, that (their) culture, values, education and morals will “accompany them into any role”. So, if you (elect/promote) a person known to be introverted & autocratic, self-important or with psychopathic/narcissistic tendencies, don’t be surprised when, after elected/promoted, they demonstrate these behaviour traits; if a person has an Accounting background perceived in the stereo-typical “bottom-line” only variety but the new job demands a visionary, innovation & progressive thinking manner, do not be surprised at stagnation; if a person is a drinker, overtly religious or aloof, don’t be surprised when these behaviour’s appear – thus, be very critical in your assessment of candidates for any position to be assured the skill set, personality behaviour traits meet needs.
So, within this framework, let’s examine (Mission) by each of us (thinking) of Mission progress in last 10 years, from our own perspectives; our “Boss/Colleagues” at work, “Mayor & Councillors” or “President & Board Members” at the Association we belong to; are we stagnant, progressing or failing; attracting new members/volunteers or losing membership, particularly ‘good potential leaders’ or are cliques’ prevalent; are we achieving self-fulfillment or becoming increasingly frustrated & discouraged, thinking about quitting?
The learning page – The phenomenon of a “psychopath” conjures thought’s of “serial killers” but in fact “all serial killers are psychopaths but not all, by a long shot, psychopaths” are killers”. Hence, many are working beside us in many walks of life and while we sense something may be wrong with their behaviour, we dismiss out of ignorance and say things like, “they are just an angry person, they like to bully, intimidate, display aggressive behaviour” and never thought our peculiar boss or team-mate was a psychopath, “often dismissing their ‘insatiable appetite for power and control’”; psychopath’s have a strong need for psychological & physical control over others, they must be in charge; they will use charm, intimidation & violence; they are “without conscience, remorse or guilt”, often “scapegoating others”; they may appear ruthless, callous & charming. Some prevalent places you may find a psychopath include but are not limited to “Politics, Non-Profits, Religious, Educational, Legal, Military, Management & Media”
Two interesting and revealing books & one “Review” to read are:
1. “Without Conscience” – The disturbing world of the psychopaths among us, by Robert D. Hare, Ph.D.
2. “Snakes in Suites” – when Psychopaths go to work, by Robert D. Hare, Ph.D & Paul Babiak, Ph.D.
3. http://kboo.fm/node/19075 (6 pages of notes)
The second phenomenon you ought to become familiar with is the “Narcissist”, described as, “having a very positive and inflated view of self; self-centeredness, lacking empathy, allowing them to disregard the most basic rights of others; incivility has become shamelessly common; assumption “my opinion matters”, yet a stubborn insistence other people’s opinions are wrong or irrelevant”. “Malignant Narcissism” is “an extreme form of antisocial personality disorder that is manifest in a person who is pathologically grandiose, lacking in conscience & behavioral regulation & with characteristic demonstrations of joyful cruelty & sadism”.
An interesting book on the subject is called, “The Narcissism Epidemic” – Living in the Age of Entitlement”, by Jean M. Twenge, Ph.D.. As well, three articles “Malignant narcissism” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/malignant_narcissism or “Twenty Traits of Malignant Narcissism” http://www.drirene.com/catbox/index.php?showtopic=40676 or “Anatomy of Malignant Narcissism” http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/narcissism/malignant_narcissism.html will give you insights.
The draconian political system – The growing disenchantment by Canadians starts with our outdated & unacceptable Federal election system but sadly it is manifested at Provincial levels, as well, notably to start, a “Party Leader automatically becomes Prime Minister or Premier and the party dictator, to willfully impose (their) ideology and thus, the political system, as designed to be democratic, to represent Constituents is cast aside. Sadly, if decisions are unsound, solely reflecting ideology, “does the politician become an enemy of the people by not representing the people” or as the unwise ignoramus politician (may) claim, “opposition to the ruling party ideology, renders the masses an enemy of the people, themselves, in fact”? How dare any political party change our culture, or status in the World, to harm Environmental protections/habitats, to impose harmful Smart Meters, to lie and deceive the public and with such arrogance, impunity & actually believe Citizens believe what they (Politicians) said, “because they said it”?
Another growing disenchantment centre’s upon “utterly extreme stupidity ‘attack ads’, draconian measures of “back-room boys” so desperate they resort to name calling but the ultra sad point is, morally bankrupt (Politicians) simply condone such abuses inflicted against political opponents, completely losing their moral compass in the process. In our opinion,” line the stupid back-room boys up and kick their ass out the door” before they create immeasurable harm and further destroy our political system. The BC dilemma is hasting implosion of the Liberal Party, solely Partisan Politics is hampering progress, sadly two perceived narcissistic leaders, unrestrained by process, will lose Government. The same scenario at Mission (possibly elsewhere), last election, witnessed the same stupidity with NDP losing by a mere 160 votes, taken by Green Party (with no chance to win).
• “Word’s of the month, “Commitment” & “YOU” – crucial to go ‘hand in hand’ if success is to be achieved. You & your commitment/support to any (cause/issue/organization) is crucial, your attendance ensure continuity of thought & resolution of ideas & progress together, your absence weakens the intellect & resolve of your organization, the group loses your valuable insights & dedication, hence, your failure to be committed, assures failure on the horizon and/or advent of cliques dominance, which heralds singular thoughts and eventual breeding of arrogance and the downfall a political party or non-profit association.
Some interesting issues we are pursuing:
1. The “stupid award for May” – “Health Canada & FHA claim, “foods that contain “GE” ingredients are no different from those made with conventional crops”". Facts to ponder, Labeling is an issue of Consumer Choice. Consumer’s don’t want to eat genetically engineered foods. Consumer’s will oppose cultivation of genetically modified trees, crops & plants (GMO’s), which incur
• excessive use of chemical weed controls
• unforeseen allergic reactions
• potential for Companies to seek proprietary or copyrights to own such product, that seeds, like water rights, they are human rights, not to be privately owned.
• Mandatory Labeling of ALL “GE” Foods, such as corn, soy, canola, etc. are demanded now!
2. To demand Mission Mayor & Council designate a Seniors’ Activity Centre now, to be fully functional by September 1, 2012. As well, to schedule Bus service via the Leisure Centre, by the Senior Activity Centre and return. STOP placing Seniors’ in the untenable situation of a “catch 22″, no Seniors’ Activity Centre to support bus, so no service or limited use “centre”, diminished use, so no bus BUT the reality is, Seniors’ remain (losers) as with no (seven day facility) Seniors’ will not come, particularly to such a current erratic (schedule). Indeed, Seniors’ need to know they can drop by any day at any time, during scheduled hours, to partake in (activities) of their choice and to socialize, to eliminate loneliness & foster camaraderie – enough is enough, no more disrespect & neglect, act NOW!!!
3. Seniors’ support STOP BULLYING Campaigns for YOUTH and notably “Stop Elder Abuse”.
4. It is the STRESS of WAITING for an appointment with (Specialist) then WAITING to have “Diagnostic Tests, X-Ray, Ultra-Sound, Biopsies, etc., then WAITING for (Specialist) to discuss findings and/or prescribe treatment, that is stressful & is the potential killer, not to mention such excessive delays for treatment cannot help the (diagnosed) ailment, as presumably early diagnosis & accompanying treatment must be crucial & critical to improved Health? It is perceived Doctors may have lost empathy and sensitivity toward Patients needs. Clearly, Administrators of Health Care have displayed immense ineptness and uncaring, from (dirty) premises (to save a ‘buck’) to possible negligence perpetrated by unwarranted excessive delay? We would encourage a Media expose’ & “Special Investigation by Health Ministry”, not the least of which, review salaries, did I hear $300,000.00 for Anesthetists and they were talking “Strike” for more money, that makes my point surely.
5. It is time to recognize facts, Prohibition does not work & is very costly to pursue, so, it is time to abandon the folly and legalize “Pot”.
Important dates to remember
• Thursday May 3, 2012, 10:30am – Mission Seniors Centre Association – We encourage all persons 55+ years of age to consider joining, only $10 annual dues. Get involved planning an effective activity centre, volunteer and lets convince Mayor & Council we all deserve respect & a place to congregate now. What “Activity” would you like to do – TV Movie night, Darts, Pool, Woodworking, casual conversation with friends?????
• Thursday May 10. 2012, 1:30pm – Mission Seniors’ Advisory Committee. Meet at Community Services Building, 2nd Avenue, just up from Post Office. Get involved (advising) about Seniors’ needs – can you assist?
• Saturday June 2 – Saturday June 10 – Seniors’ Week. Watch your local newspaper and other advertising venues for daily details.
• A “Special Night for Seniors”, Monday May 7, 2012, 6:30pm at Council Chambers, hear Sharon Fletcher, Director Planning discuss results of the Seniors Activity Centre “Open House Questionnaire’s” about Seniors’ Centre needs at Mission. Come out and support Seniors, support MSCA Board & ECAC Advocates, raise your voice for Seniors’ issues.
The Elder Citizen Action Coalition seeks to represent Seniors’ of the District of Mission, all 9,791 over the age of 55 years, by your responding to our rallying call, “Unity in Challenging Times”, as by speaking as “one united voice” we can demand action & acceptable results for Seniors’ but if you remain silent or a follower, the strength in numbers of Seniors is diminished. We provide a public statement of our objectives & goals, venues for an overdue Seniors’ Activity Centre, that can be viewed at www.thecouncilclaw.ca ‘click’ CONTENTS, The Elder Citizen Action Coalition.
The Elder Citizens Action Coalition is the “Champion of Seniors’ Issues” and welcome your support. Simply, if you are not on our e-mailing list, send us a note, provide your names, email & phone number, describe your interests or concerns witnessed that need attention and tell us you support our causes/issues, at email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Working together, becoming informed, we can move mountains but moreso, move Politicians to act on behalf of Seniors’. Some try to imitate knowing Seniors’ needs & claim to (represent) but be wary of the pretender and be assured ECAC are the best.