- Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
- R.I.P. Bas Stevens
- BC Supreme Court rules homeless have right to public spaces
- Breakfast with the Chief
- Central Fraser Valley Transit Service Change September 30
- Parks and Recreation in Abbotsford
- The Way Forward for Abbotsford Today
- Unleash the Innerwild, then strike an Even Keel in the Envision Financial Concert in the Park Series
MAIN EVENT: Heritage Picnic – Official Mission 125 Party
LOCATION: Fraser River Heritage Park
PROGRAM NAME: Time Travellers by Mission Community Archives
DATE & TIME: June 4th, 2017 from 11AM to 4PM
Two male and two female volunteer actors are required to portray historical characters from Mission’s past for 5 hours. Dressed in period costumes appropriate to their character and equipped with “story-telling” props, each actor will banter with the public using scripts provided by the Community Archives, pose for photographs, do a Mission History Trivia related to their character (content provided by Archives), and distribute commemorative historic Mission 125 buttons and postcards. Below are the characters who are to be portrayed.
· Anthony “Tony”Taulbut (1874-1949) – well-known public official, civic leader, newspaper reporter, and local historian who had a great sense of humor.
· Fred Bannister (1875 – 1953) – a pioneer theatre owner/operator (established Mission’s first theatre) and talented musician (established Mission’s first-known community band). Would be great if the individual interested in playing this position also played a portable musical instrument.
· Lucetta Solloway (1865-1928) – businesswomen, first women elected to public office in Mission (School Board) and temperance and women’s right’s advocate
· Ethel Ogle (1905-1979) – Mission’s first women mayor, community activist and resident for over 7- years.
Each character will be assisted by an Archives volunteer who will help gather people around for the story-telling, help with photos if necessary and keep track of the props.
HONORIUM: Each volunteer actor will be paid an honorarium of $100
CONTACT: Val Billesberger, Archivist – email@example.com or text/phone: 604-837-7569 by or before April 8th, 2017.